King George V died on 20th January, 1936, and a National
Memorial Fund Committee set about raising funds to assist in the purchase
of playing fields in Memory of the late King.
It was on
3rd November, 1936, that King George's Fields Foundation was constituted
by Trust Deed: 'To promote and to assist in the establishment throughout the United
Kingdom of playing fields for the use and enjoyment of the people every
such playing field to be styled 'King George's Field and to be
distinguished by heraldic panels or other appropriate tablet medallion or
inscription commemorative of His Late majesty and of a design approved by
the Administrative Council'.
The Interim Report of the King George's Fields Foundation
shows that by 1946, 471 such fields had been created.
The Official Opening of the King George V Playing Fields
(from a picture owned by Mrs C.G.Scofield)
That report also shows the cost of the
Wivenhoe field to have been £6,945 to which cost the Wivenhoe Urban District
Council received a grant of £875, the U.D.C. having signed a Deed of
Dedication on 9th May, 1938.
This Deed requires that the land, comprising some 16
acres, be used for public recreation and for no other purpose.
close association between the King George's Fields Foundation and the
National Playing Fields Association eventually led to the NPFA becoming
Trustees of Wivenhoe's King George's Playing Field with Wivenhoe Town
Council responsible for its maintenance and
||Heraldic panels, being the official emblems of the
National Memorial to King George V situated on either side of the official
entrance of the King George Playing Field (now the exit to the public car
Scene of the Opening event on Wivenhoe's King George's
Field on 28th July, 1938.
||This photograph (left) was taken c. 1927 at the
playing fields, at a time when these fields were owned by Charles
Scofield. The fields were primarily for grazing cattle but Charles
used to invite customers and clients at weekends to take part in
rabbit shooting. The playing fields were eventually bought, through
compulsory purchase, against the wishes of the Scofield family.
The bus was sited at the top of the playing fields, backing on to
De Vere Lane. The lower deck was used as a store for hay and straw
for the cattle. The photo shows second from left Charles Gibson
Scofield (Senior), his son Charles Scofield and his son's wife,
Text and photo provided by Charles G. Scofield - Jan 2003