RIVER GUNBOAT "El Fateh"            

Main sections:

Home

About Wivenhoe

Adult Education   

Arts  

Broad_Lane

Colchester

Cook's Shipyard

Community_Safety

History

How to get HERE

Music Section

Organisations

Pubs & Restaurants

Sports Clubs

Trade & Business

University

Useful Information

Useful Web Sites

Walks

Wivenhoe Diary

Accommodation

Wivenhoe People

Town Council

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

           

  

The Wivenhoe Encyclopedia

STEAM STERN PADDLE WHEEL RIVER GUNBOAT " EL FATEH'

Built at Wivenhoe Shipyard in 1896 by Forrestt & Co. Ltd., together with 2 sister ships for the Kitchener Nile expedition against the forces of the Mahdi in the Sudan.

DIMENSIONS:
         Length on deck 140'
         Beam: 24'
         Draft: (when fully loaded with guns and stores) 2'6"

ARMAMENT:
         1 x 12 pounder Q.F. Gun
         2 x 6 pounder Q.F. guns
         1 x Nordenfeldt Howitzer
         2 x Batteries of Maxim guns
The vessel equipped with electricity and searchlight.

With her sisters, 'El Fateh' was built in sections of steel and fitted with water tight bulkheads. Shipped to Alexandria in sections, the ships were transported up the Nile to Assouan where they were reassembled for action.

'EL FATEH' was commanded on the Nile by Lt. David Beatty R.N. later better known as Admiral Earl Beatty, commander of the Battle Cruisers at the Battle of Jutland.

Research by Bill Ellis

Model of the 'El Fateh' by Bill Ellis

 

 

 

 

 

Model of the 'El Fateh' by Bill Ellis

 

Last updated:
05 January 2015

This site is maintained by Webmaster Eugene Kraft. 

Regarding the contents of these pages, your attention is drawn to this legal notice