Pigot's Essex 1832-3
WIVENHOE, ALRESFORD, AND THORRINGTON
is a village and parish in the Colchester division of Lexden hundred, four
miles south-east from Colchester, and about nine from Manningtree. It is
agreeably situated on the acclivity and summit of a pleasant eminence, on
the north side of the Colne, and is reckoned the harbour of Colchester for
larger vessels than come up to that town; and is where large quantities of
oysters are packed for exportation. It is, however, but a place of little
trade when divested of its oyster fishery, and connexion and communication
with its populous neighbour Colchester. The church is a large and rather
handsome edifice: the living is in the gift of Nicholas Corsellis, Esq.
the lord of the manor. The number of inhabitants in the parish, by the
last census, was 1714.
or ASHFORD, is a small village and parish in the hundred of Tendring, 2
miles south-east of Wivenhoe, containing 297 inhabitants.
is 2 miles south-east from Alresford, in the same hundred, and 8 miles
from Colchester. It is a village and parish, with a population, by the
last returns, of 431 inhabitants.
OFFICE, WIVENHOE, James Pratt, Post Master. - Letters from London arrive
(per mail cart) from COLCHESTER, every morning at half-past eight, and are
despatched every evening at half-past six.
To LONDON, Cridge & Felbrook, from Wivenhoe, every morning.
BY WATER. To LONDON, GAINSBOROUGH, and HULL, vessels, from the Quay,
weekly, and occasionally oftener.
Transcribed by CG