of the Wivenhoe Scout & Guide Association
In 1958, a
Committee of Leaders and parents was formed with the aim of raising
sufficient money to build a headquarters for the Scouts and Guides of
Wivenhoe. Mr William
Cracknell was elected Chairman of that Committee.
A plot of land
lying behind the Council offices was sold to the Committee in 1959 for �30
by Mr Arthur Worthington.
By 1964, the
Headquarters Committee had raised over �1,900 through fetes, jumble sales
and other fund-raising events. Work
on the building was started early in that year. Some materials were
donated, like the metal girders for the original flat roof which came from
J. Cook�s, the shipbuilders in Wivenhoe.
The Hall was
opened on the 10th April 1965.
Surplus money was retained in a central fund to be used for
maintenance. At this stage, each Group meeting in the Hall had its own
Committee of Leaders and parents, each raising its own funds for
In 1968, it was
suggested that all Groups and Committees should join to together with the
Headquarters Committee to form one Association for management and
fund-raising. A Steering
Committee was formed to work out a constitution and the present Wivenhoe
Scout & Guide Association was born on 16th January 1969.
By 1979, it was
clear that the Hall was not big enough to meet the needs of all the Units
and a planning application was submitted for an extension to the building,
comprising a single room, and fund-raising begun in earnest.
Further growth in
numbers meant that plans were later revised in favour of doubling the size
of the Hall, enlarging the kitchen, making a proper lobby, more than
doubling the size of the Quartermaster�s store and capping the whole
building with a pitched roof to replace the previous flat one.
Footings for this
major project were dug in September 1987 and five years later, after
hundreds of hours of volunteer help and �30,000 spent on materials, the
new Hall was opened.
Chairman in 1958 was Mr William Cracknell whose name is remembered by
calling one of the Cub packs after him. Another leading light amongst
those people in the 1950s and until her death in 1995, was Mrs Ruth Munson
who started Guiding in Wivenhoe. Her
name is remembered by the Association when it called the new room in the
extended building after her.
the Wivenhoe Scout & Guide Association comprises 11 units of Rainbow
Guides, Brownies, Guides, Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorer Scouts. In
all, some 200 youngsters and 45 adults as Leaders, Assistant Leaders, Unit
Helpers, Committee Members and other lay helpers.
Hall too is used by more than just the uniformed sections. During
the daytime it has become home to three art classes, a singing group,
three dancing groups, a yoga class, a Mother and Toddler group and the
Wivenhoe DofE Centre for people wanting to participate in the Duke of
Edinburgh's award programme.
only Mr Cracknell, Mrs Munson and all the other people who helped raise
that initial �1,900 to build the first hall could see it now.
The old Hall with the
extension under way � 1988
Main construction team: Barry
Cook; Peter Hill; Richard Martin; Malcolm Smith
Other volunteers: Colin
Batchelor; Malcolm Burren; Ian Coventry; Alan Dobson; John Humphrey;
George Lowndes; Rod Murray; John Sallows; Paul Stockwell; Alan Theobald
Ruth Munson leading Wivenhoe Guides out of St Mary's Church (circa late