About the Sailing Barge WYVENHOE            

Main sections:

Home

About Wivenhoe

Adult Education   

Arts  

Broad_Lane

Colchester

Cook's Shipyard

Community_Safety

History

How to get HERE

Music Section

Organisations

Pubs & Restaurants

Sports Clubs

Trade & Business

University

Useful Information

Useful Web Sites

Walks

Wivenhoe Diary

Accommodation

Wivenhoe People

Town Council

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

           

  

The Wivenhoe Encyclopedia


The Sailing Barge 'WYVENHOE'
 

OFFICIAL NUMBER: 110012

GROSS TONNAGE: 103.25

REGISTERED TONNAGE: 83.19

BUILT BY FORRESTT & SON LTD. in WIVENHOE in 1898 

 

For more pictures, click here

For the official Wyvenhoe web-site, click here

HISTORICAL

The sailing barge, traditionally referred to as a Thames Barge', evolved over a long period of carrying bulk cargoes between coastal areas in England and to ports in the nearer continental countries. The easily handled sail plan, flat bottom, shallow draught and considerable cargo capacity for a small ship, was the basis of a considerable trade in bulk cargoes where speed was not essential. There is no keel, stability being provided by 'lee boards', one on each side, which can be raised or lowered as necessary. Similar vessels evolved from the same needs in near Europe, particularly in Holland and 'Dutch Barge' is heard as often as 'Thames Barge'.

Most barges carried cement, sand, bricks, stone, hay and straw and it is known that 'Wyvenhoe' often carried linseed. During the 1914 war the sailing barges carried munitions to France.

The remaining barges, all 30, have been converted for pleasure use and there are probably no more hulks lying in East Coast creeks that can be rebuilt.

HISTORY OF 'WYVENHOE'

She was built of iron in 1898, at Wivenhoe in Essex. Like most Thames sailing barges she was rigged with a spritsail rig which enabled a small crew of two or three men to handle her.

She carried all sorts of cargo around the coast of Britain and to Europe.

She was converted to a motor ship in 1923, and after being rebuilt in steel in 1947, she traded until 1982. She holds the record of having traded longer than any other British registered ship.

MORE RECENT HISTORY

'Wyvenhoe' has given great pleasure to many people over recent years where she has been used extensively for charter work and functions of many kinds, including weddings and similar celebrations, meetings, training sessions, press presentations, product launches, seminars, art classes, film and still photography, staff rewards and customer entertainment.

She is berthed in the heart of London at St Katherine’s Dock by Tower Bridge.

SOME NOTABLE EVENTS 

In 1998 'Wyvenhoe', with three others, sailed around Lands End and took part in the Bristol International Festival of the Sea. She was used as accommodation for commercial organisations involved in the Festival. In 1999, 'Wyvenhoe' was honoured to be chosen to go to Windsor, with masts lowered (and the river too in some places) to get under the bridges, to be the venue for the 100th anniversary of the Sea Cadets. A brass plate on one of the saloon chairs commemorates the visit of H.M.The Queen to the exhibition staged on board.

The other notable event in 1999 was truly explosive. 'Wyvenhoe' starred in the James Bond film The World is Not Enough'. The masts were taken down, the deck was covered with a steel sheet lid, false masts and a deckhouse were constructed and then the whole upper part was blown-up with great force on the Thames. It looked like the end for 'Wyvenhoe', but when the protection was removed, she was as good as old underneath.

SPECIFICATION

Built of iron and steel. Length 85 feet, Beam 19 feet, Draught about 4 feet. Registered tonnage of 83.19 tons.

Sail area: 3,500 square feet. Traditional sails, treated with red-ochre and linseed oil.

To contact the owners of the Wyvenhoe, click here

 

Last updated:
05 January 2015

This site is maintained by Webmaster Eugene Kraft. 

Regarding the contents of these pages, your attention is drawn to this legal notice