Sunday 14th October 2007, Chairman of Wivenhoe's Nottage Maritime
Institute, Richard Barnard, the Management Committee of the Nottage
together with an invited crowd, were present outside Malting House, No
74 High Street, currently owned by Ian and Charlotte Narbeth, for an
unveiling of a plaque commemorating the life of Captain Albert Turner
who lived at that address from 1930 until 1948.
Turner was a local fishing skipper who developed a reputation for
winning races and who found himself as captain on board King George V's
racing yacht Britannia. Turner secured 326 prizes for the King's yacht,
including 216 firsts, during the 12 years he served King George from
1923 to 1935.
The cost of the plaque was financed by donations from Wivenhoe Town
Council and the Wivenhoe Society as well as by the Nottage Institute